Okay, so I know I said NO Googling information about FET's but I caved and I did.... and I'm glad I did because I stumbled upon some very interesting information about the use of low dose cortisone steroids and anti biotics during IVF and FET.
My FS has never mentioned anything about it. I have an appointment with him tomorrow afternoon for a sonar (CD8) to check that everything is on track for the FET and I intend to ask him about this.
Basically the antibiotics are given to treat any infection that may be present, whether you have an infection or not, it's best to have your body as healthy as possible. The Steroids are believed to act by inhibiting the cellular immune response so in other words it prevents your body from attacking the embryos and thus preventing them from implanting.
I'm definitely going to ask him about this although I think it might be too late in this cycle to change my protocol.
xx
Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. I hope he gives you some answers that you want. I can tell you with my first IVF I took steroids and antibiotics and ended in a BFN....all of my subsequent cycles I didn't take any and they also ended in BFN. So although it may help some people, I don't think it's something that every RE uses in their protocol. If I can remember....I didn't start taking doxycycline (antibiotic) until after transfer and I think the sterioids were started a week before transfers. Although that was back in April, so I could be off.
ReplyDeleteGood Luck
Hey Mel, so looking forward to your update about your appt today :-)
ReplyDeleteMy FS put me on the low dose cortisone for my first IVF (immune protocol) and will put me on it again as soon as he finds out I'm pregnant. I say there's no harm in taking the drugs, if they can only improve your chances then why not!!!
Good luck and may this be your last cycle and first happy ending xxx